Source: POSTED AUGUST 17, 2017 BY MEDICAL NEWS TODAY
What is Botox? Everything You Need To Know
Botox is used medically to treat certain muscular conditions, and cosmetically to remove wrinkles by temporarily paralyzing muscles. It is made from a neurotoxin called botulinum toxin that is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum.
Although Botox is a powerful poison, when used correctly, it has a number of applications.
In this article, we will explain how it works, what Botox is used for, and talk about any side effects and dangers.
Fast Facts on Botox:
- Botox is the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatment, with more than 6 million Botox treatments administered each year.
- Botox is a neurotoxin derived from Clostridium botulinum, an organism found in the natural environment where it is largely inactive and non-toxic.
- Botulinum toxin is used to reduce fine lines and wrinkles by paralyzing the underlying muscles.
- People also use Botox to treat excessive sweating, migraines, muscular disorders, and some bladder and bowel disorders.
- Botulism, an illness caused by botulinum toxin, can cause respiratory failure and prove deadly.
- Just 1 gram of botulinum toxin could kill over 1 million people. Two kilograms could kill the entire human population of Earth.
If you’ve ever considered an injectable such as Botox, you may want to consider Jeuveau™ instead because it lasts longer and works faster than Botox. It’s the #NEWTOX. We offer Jeuveau™ at PureSculping Aesthetic Centers.